Welcome!


From marketing, web and advertising copy, to RFPs, to training manuals and project documentation, to essays and opinion articles, I've done a lot of writing over the last 15 years. Thanks for stopping by to read my writing samples.

You can also check out the work I've done for Wakefield Patch as a member of the MomTalk panel.

If you have any questions, please contact me!

tsfestel@gmail.com
617.285.8262


Triathlon for Morons (an excerpt)



"You're going to be a great mother!" I heard her shout down the hall after me as I hurried away. Shut up, shut up, shut up! Why wouldn't she shut up?

I swung open the door and sat down on the polished pine bench, fighting back my tears, feeling completely defeated. Already. And I hadn't even started yet. What had I done? What was I thinking? I was too old for this.

The smell of the place combined with the nervous pit in my stomach left me wishing I'd skipped dinner. That horrible woman's comment about my supposed pregnancy had me feeling the same way, albeit for a different reason. Note to self: salads from now on. Forever.

When I called yesterday to get myself registered, I was pretty pumped up. I felt kind of invincible, ready to, like... totally crush it... or something. OK, maybe that was a stretch, but I at least felt empowered, ready for the challenge. Now, sitting here in this too-bright, stinky, stuffy, overly-mirrored room, I felt anything but.

After the "well-wishes" I'd just endured, baring myself in public was among the last things I felt like doing. Awesome. I pulled myself together, found a semi-secluded corner, and began to disrobe. I was here. There was no turning back, at least not without passing that woman again. How long was her shift, anyway?

It was time to learn how to swim. At 38.

Don't get me wrong, I don't sink or anything. The fact is, I was probably more buoyant than I would have preferred, as evidenced by the congratulations I received on my pregnancy that wasn't. I could swim underwater pretty well provided I could hold my nose. And I was a master at the triple crown: doggie paddle, treading water, and floating on my back. My greatest skill in the water, however, was my ability to be in the pool with my children for hours without getting wet above the waist. No small feat when surrounded by children ages seven and under doing cannonballs. Yay, me!

When I looked at the description of the adult swim classes, I skipped right over the beginner class, the one for those "fearful of water." I was totally comfortable in the water. I had no fear, just no skill. Other than that staying dry one. And that didn't really count. I chose the "intermediate" level, reasoning that I wasn't afraid and that I could swim the whole way across the pool without stopping. Right?

I registered and paid for my class at the YMCA over the phone, while at the beach honing my second best water-related skill, getting my toes wet in the surf and then sunning myself while reading a good book. The class was to begin the next evening and I already had butterflies in my stomach, excited for the challenge, but nervous because this was completely out of my comfort zone.

Pushing my comfort zone was kind of my theme for the year. Two months earlier, I'd completed a 10K mud run complete with military-style obstacles. In training for the run, I totally messed up my ankle and found myself in a walking cast for four weeks. I had been doing a pretty easy 3.5 mile loop before I hurt myself - sitting on my dining room chair... what? - but with the boot off just two weeks before the race, I was kind of screwed for completing my training. A 10K is 6.1 miles. I had only been running half that, always flat, no obstacles. I expected to make up the other three miles and add in some hills in the last six weeks of training. Or not. The furthest I got before race day was 4.5 miles. And it sucked.

I was on a team, and they couldn't compete if I didn't run. So, race we did. It wasn't pretty, but we completed the difficult and hilly course. Lots of laughs and a few short walk breaks actually made it enjoyable. Three cheers and and post-race beer for everyone.

On a high after the race, I went looking for my next physical challenge to push my limits. The obvious answer to me was a sprint triathlon. And, no, I don't know why that was obvious. Depending on the particulars of the race, this involves an open water swim of 1/4-1/2 mile, a bike ride of 12-15 miles, and a 5K run at the end. Since I could easily run a 5K, I figured this would be great. What the hell? Why not add the other stuff in the beginning?

Except that I couldn't swim and was afraid to ride my bike.

Oh, details, details! I had time! Nothing but time! It was only May and the tri was in mid-September. Plenty of time! Like I said, I was on a high.

My always wise and honest husband's response when I told him I'd registered for a triathlon was, "Um, Tash... You can't swim and are afraid of your bike. What are you doing?"

Hmmm... When you put it that way...


---- If you want to read more, contact me!