Welcome!


From marketing, web and advertising copy, to RFPs, to training manuals and project documentation, to essays and opinion articles, I've done a lot of writing over the last 15 years. Thanks for stopping by to read my writing samples.

You can also check out the work I've done for Wakefield Patch as a member of the MomTalk panel.

If you have any questions, please contact me!

tsfestel@gmail.com
617.285.8262


After Twenty Years of Thinking (an excerpt)



As I found myself driving into the parking lot in my silver Dodge Grand Caravan, you know, the one with the "Stow 'n Go" seating for all kinds of flexibility, seating, and storage options, I had second thoughts. This was so not my kind of place. I am comfortable just about everywhere, but this place was a stretch. Even for me.

I shifted the car in to "P" and flipped down the visor to apply my lipgloss in the light-up mirror. Then I fluffed my hair, gave myself a winning smile, flipped the visor back up, and climbed out of the van. Never before has the "toot" caused by the remote control lock for the minivan seemed so out of place the announcement of the arrival of a woman who clearly does not belong as it did in that parking lot on that day.

I looked around nervously, hoping no one would see me. I couldn't have looked more suspicious. This was a pretty sketchy part of town and I didn't need anyone to see me hanging around. Most people wouldn't understand why I was here. I wasn't sure I could explain it either. My thoughts wandered to marathoners, who, when asked why they run, answer with the unsatisfying, "Because I can." 

When this got out, I was pretty sure I'd be judged, and harshly, by my peers. Your every-day, average, suburban mom didn't do this. Was I your every-day, average, suburban mom? Or was I just a little bit... hip? Oh, who was I kidding? It wasn't too late. I could just get back in the car... While I would have been less conspicuous under cover of darkness, that wasn't going to work with my schedule today. I had a small window of time to get this done. You know, seize the day and all that jazz.

Earlier, while ignoring my children at the outdoor playground/hell on earth at McDonald's, I called my husband and told him what I had planned. I'd been thinking about it for some time, 20 years in fact, and I felt I had given it ample consideration. I was finally ready to do it. What the hell? Today was as good a time as any.

"What are you going to do with the kids?" he asked. Duh. I was going to take them along with me. While he was out playing Ultimate Frisbee, we'd finished our errands, and had the rest of the day free. After all, they'd just eaten a nutritious lunch and were getting their exercise all in one conveniently germ-infested location, so clearly, it would be fine for them to come along. Which is what I told him. Duh.

"Tash! You can't take them with you! They're six and eight years old! They don't belong there!" he exclaimed.

Um, what? They don't belong there? Huh? Our kids were pretty worldly, you know, for kids that haven't actually seen much and still get really excited to take the subway into Boston, just 12 miles south of our sheltered suburban home. They were cool. They could totally hang. Right?

Yeah... no. He was so right.

They still felt the need to point out every smoker they saw loitering outside of a building, reminding me how "totally stupid" it was to smoke because they were "going to die" from it one day, or at least get "really, super sick." Note that this was especially cutting, given that  "stupid" is now considered a bad word with the elementary school set.

They liked to discuss the tattoos they saw on the guy who pumped our gas, along with just about everyone else in modern society, and reflect upon the choice that person made to have that particular design emblazoned on his or her body for eternity. "Those things are permanent, you know. Like, when you're as old as Oma and Opa, they'll still be there. Will you want that?" they'd caution me.

They'd talk at length, for weeks, about the waitress at the Mexican place on Route 1, that wore bad lip gloss, too much eyeliner, and had a stud in her cheek, tongue, eyebrow, nose, wrist, thyroid, and likely countless other places that were thankfully covered by the pesky clothing required by her day job.

Yeah, he was right. I totally couldn't take them.

Shit. I was going to have to do this alone.


----- If you want to read more, contact me!