Welcome!


From marketing, web and advertising copy, to RFPs, to training manuals and project documentation, to essays and opinion articles, I've done a lot of writing over the last 15 years. Thanks for stopping by to read my writing samples.

You can also check out the work I've done for Wakefield Patch as a member of the MomTalk panel.

If you have any questions, please contact me!

tsfestel@gmail.com
617.285.8262


Motherly Advice for Mother's Day

This was written for Wakefield Patch in answer the the question: What's the best advice your mom ever gave you?



In the spirit of a child's poem for Mother's Day, I offer you this:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have a way better
Mother than you!

So there. :p

I can't credit my mom - or anyone, really - with any life changing moments or deep conversations that define the way I live my life. What I can do, however, is look back and see a lifetime's worth of love, security, advice and support. I remember my mom always being there for me. Always. And still. She is my best friend. A woman I adore,  who happens to be my mom. I am very lucky.

I don't rely on sage words of advice or nuggets of wisdom she passed along to me. I don't need to. It was all there in the day-to-day way she raised me and in the way she lived her life. She modeled the behavior that I would one day aspire to demonstrate, both as a mother and a woman.

With my mom in my corner, I can do anything, try anything. If I fall, I never fall alone. And when I succeed, she's my biggest cheerleader. Sometimes she's quiet about it. Sometimes she's loud about it. But she's always there, even when I don't know it. To me, that's much better than a kitschy line of advice. That's a lifetime of unwavering support and love.

There are tons of nuggets of advice - don't lie, listen to your heart, go for it, there's always time to break up - and I live by all of them. But the best thing my mom ever told me was that she loves me.

And I hope that's what my kids learn from me too. That I love them, no matter what. Always and forever. That even when they don't see me, I'm still there.